Want a reason to create some great new portfolio pieces, get some exposure for your freelance graphic design business and maybe win an award or get published? Now is your chance to work!
In lieu of pro-bono work, which is actually surprisingly tricky to give way while also getting a decent portfolio-worthy piece at the same time, responding to these calls to graphic designers for new work is a fantastic way to offload those unused logo design concepts or rejected brochure comps with a little touch up and make-ready. Like the land of misfit toys, you can make your old design work happy and proud to be yours once again by giving them a useful existence – and maybe some glory!
20 Design Competitions and Calls to Artists for Exposure!
- AIGA – “AIGA (Re)design Awards is a design competition honoring sustainable and socially responsible work done by professionals around the world.”
- Andy Awards
- Campaign Big Awards – “The Big Awards have become the kite-mark for creative excellence across all media and all product categories, from TV to DM, radio to press, posters to digital. Again, we’ll ask some of our industry’s most illustrious talent to judge each of the categories. And unlike some other awards, our judges will all know what it’s like to create ads for the British market”
- Communication Arts – “Enter the most prestigious design competition for interactive media, the Communication Arts Interactive Design Competition. Any interactive project created for digital distribution on the World Wide Web, CD-ROM, interactive kiosk or handheld device is eligible…”
- Creativity – “Creativity Annual Awards is one of the longest running international advertising and graphic design competitions. We are a print design competition, a web design competition, and an advertising design competition. You will find we have categories in Print, Publications, New Media, TV, Radio and more.”
- Cresta International Advertising Awards
- Effie Awards – “The Effie Awards were founded in 1968 by the American Marketing Association, New York Chapter, as an awards program to recognize the most effective advertising efforts in the United States each year.”
- Graphic Competitions – A resource for many top design competitions for Graphic Designers, Illustrators, Animators, Cartoonists and more!
- Graphics.com – A great resource for Creative Designers with info on competitions, forums, tips, news, inspiration and learning tools for new and seasoned designers.
- How Magazine – “Enter your work in HOW magazine’s Interactive Design Competition. All winning entries will be featured in HOW’s April 2010 Design Annual and will receive a $100 discount toward registration for the 2010 HOW Design Conference.”
- Icograda IDA (International Council of Graphic Design Associations, a Partner of the International Design Alliance) – “Our international calendar of events includes congresses, meetings, and conferences that further the international exchange of information. Icograda events and Icograda endorsed events comply with international guidelines and best practices.”
- Licc – London International Creative Competition – “London International Creative Competition (LICC) is a vehicle for facilitating contact between uniquely talented artists and an international audience”.
- New York Festivals
- Print Magazine – No explanation needed; an ideal site for graphic designers, students can enter a myriad of contests and gain exposure.
- The Drum – UK – Great blog with Design Competition listings as well as informed UK art news, jobs, events, training, and a lot more. Subscribe to this one!
- The Mobius Awards – Entry deadline Oct 1 every year; “Acknoledging Creative Excellence Worldwide…Print, Outdoor, Brochure/Book, Package Design..Mixed Media..”
- UCDA – “The 2009 Design Competition is now underway. UCDA is looking for your biggest and best ideas for our annual design competition — whether it be print, electronic, green, and even student work!”
- Crescent Hill Books “Innovative Producer of Fine Design Books”
- Design and Design – “An Independent and Non-Profit on/off-line venture developed by Marc Praquin to help talented designers to promote for free their work on an international basis.”
- Rockport Publishers – Publishers for ARchitecture, graphic design, Interior Design, and Fashion Design, looking for Artists to submit designs and illustrations for their covers, promising great exposure!