It’s no trouble to be reminded of the simple things we can do to improve our typographic chops! This quick list of a dozen top typography resources feature over 100 easy-to-grasp hints, tips, and bits of advice. If you are a type newbie, spend a few minutes soaking up some new (to you) typography advice. If you are a seasoned type pro…well…spend a few minutes re-soaking up some old (to you) typography advice! Nobody remembers everything, right?
When it comes to typography, and design in general, there are no absolute rights and wrongs, but there are degrees of rightness and wrongness based on well-established and long-agreed-upon principles. The more you know about what makes good typography, the more you’ll align yourself with the best practices that have been distilled down to us today from the great minds of so many great artist and designers over the centuries. There is a lot of good to draw from. Therefore, draw from it!
So, align yourself with typographic goodness, as embodied in so much of the advice at the resources and articles below, and you’ll soon be making your own typographic goodness!
- 10 Typography Tips to Bring Your Design to the Next Level
- 8 Simple Ways to Improve Typography in Your Designs
- Colin’s 10 Principles for Better Type Design
- Useful Typography Tips For Adobe Illustrator
- Five simple steps to better typography
- Nicoles Classes: Typography Tips
- 7 Tips For More Professional Typography
- 8 Simple Ways to Improve Typography In Your Designs
- Top Ten Typography Tips
- Mixing Typefaces: Tips and Techniques
- 15 Practical Tips How To Use Typography For Emotional Design
- Erik Spiekermann’s Typo Tips
“Look at all those great names in graphic design history; Tschichold, Schleger, Rand, Fletcher, Aicher, Muller-Brockmann; and look at their beautiful type. They understood the need to understand it.”
— Richard Westen of ACE JET 17